Bill of Rights

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Disclosures Lies Broken Brain


I don't like trickling disclosures.
I don't like lies.

I had to deal with both of these yesterday.

I discovered some lies and a craigslist personal my husband had answered.  He lied about that.
I discovered him soliciting sex again.  He lied about that.

You would think after 25 years of being discovered H would learn that lies, cover-ups, deceptions, etc. always find their way out of the dark hole he tries to bury them in.

You would think -- except addicts have a broken brain.

The word 'addiction' comes from the Latin reference for "enslaved" or "bound to".  Makes sense.   The school of thought used to be that only alcohol and drugs could be considered a cause for addiction.   Researchers are now realizing that 'pleasure activities' sex, shopping, eating, and gambling can also be a cause.

In the early 1900s it was believed that addictions were some how a moral flaw or lack of willpower.  Punishments being the preferred treatment to 'break the habit.'  Our current mode of thought is that addiction is a chronic disease that changes the brain striation and function -- just like  heart disease changes and damages the heart.   The term often used for the damaged or broken brain as a 'hijacked brain."    Just like with drugs a surge of dopamine is released under the cerebral cortex when the brain registers pleasure.  What takes an enjoyable moment to addiction is the speed, intensity and reliability of these dopamine releases to the brain.

This is complicated further due to the fact that dopamine also effects learning and memory.  An important factor in the process of liking something to becoming addicted to it.   Dopamine interacts with  other neurotransmitters that take over the brains system of reward-related learning.   This particular system links activities needed for human survival with pleasure and reward.

I ran into this broken brain last night when I presented H with an email I came across on his phone.  Instead of telling the truth -- H packed and ran.

Here I am again trying to sort through the disclosure, the lies, the leaving again on my own.  Sorting through the right way and the wrong way to deal with these continual issues.  Always asking myself, "what would the Savior do?"  And alway wondering if I can ever say, 'enough is enough."

Is it ok to require honesty?
Is it ok to have boundaries?  Or are those ultimatums?
Is it ok to say 'no, you can't live here if you cannot stop what you are doing."

Sometimes I wonder if it is not just H's brain that is broken.  So much damage and trauma from all these years of never really knowing what the truth is.

I hear myself 'sigh' as I wander around the house.  The pain is audible.  I keep apologizing to my D.  Telling her that I just need to let it out so that it doesn't build and come out in other ways.  But I know it bothers her.  I feel bad.

Some days -- I really wish I could turn this trial in for another one.  Even though I know all the stores of how if all the trials of all the world were put in a pile for us to choose -- we'd still choose our own -- the one we are familiar with.  I still ---  want to see if I can feel more successful with something else  -- for a change.















4 comments:

  1. I feel like we are living the same life! I'm so grateful I found your blog today. I too am struggling with how to know when "enough is enough" and with feeling like a failure if I "give up" or call it quits. This is so hard. Please know you aren't alone (unfortunately!). I would love to help, but I don't know that I have anything to offer you. Thank you, though, for your thoughts and feelings. They are so similar to mine, and it has helped me to think more deeply about a lot of issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry! I wish I could hug you for real. A great big hug with streaming tears!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it is totally OK to require honesty! Yes, it is very much OK to establish boundaries--they are to protect you from more emotional pain and anguish, not to punish him. And yes, it is totally, totally OK to tell him he cannot live with you if he's going to continue in his addictive behaviors. In fact, I see the last one as a clearly stated boundary that is totally OK. I know this is so, so very hard but he is an addict, complete with that broken brain you talked about; and until he admits that to himself and sincerely wants to change, get help, and seek recovery, he is probably not going to stop. He has to do it for himself--not for you or for your kids or anyone else. I honestly believe he wants to stop, but he can't right now. He's not capable of stopping right now because he is so deep in his addiction, complete with his broken brain, that he can't stop on his own--without help. He has to want recovery more than he wants his addiction. I borrowed some DVD's from heartache (hopeandhealing forum) called "Helping Her Heal" by Doug Weiss, and in there he said something to the effect that if our husband is hiding things and lying to us about anything related to his addiction, then he loves his addiction more than he love us. ....Such a hard reality, but it's so true and helps to explain all the distant behaviors and selfishness addicts display toward their wives and others. I love you and it hurts me to know you are having to suffer through more pain. But you are stronger and braver than you know! lots of love and huge hugs. (...and sorry this is so long...)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you -- each of you for your kind words. I am touched and strengthened by them.

    ReplyDelete