Bill of Rights

Friday, January 24, 2014

Boundaries Vs. Compelling Church Attendance

 
Does Attending Church = A Relationship Requirement ?


I'm finding setting up boundaries a daunting task for me with regard to one particular issue -- Church.

To me, this one issue is crucial.  Church isn't something we just do because it is a good thing.  Attending church is the evidence of our beliefs, of who we are.  It is the keystone of life.  Without this piece we flounder and fail in mortality.

As members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints we know that one of the Adversary's main missions is to destroy the family -- which includes marriage.  If Satan can turn husbands against wives, if he can divert our attention to other things, if he can cause hearts to fail -- families will fail.

My family, my marriage has been in a state of failure off and on since its inception.  We started on shaky ground.  We started with lies and deception.  We didn't repair that faulty start -- and we've added to it over the years.  I don't want it to sound like it has only been bad moves.  It hasn't.  A lot of good happened also -- in between the mistakes.  This is what life is like in mortality.  We are here to learn from our mistakes.  That is the place I find myself at now -- needing desperately to learn from a mistake of not having God present, first and foremost in our marriage.

How do I fix this condition I find myself in without my husband reading this as an ultimatum or me compelling him to attend church in order for us to be together.  I am not wanting to compel.  I know the importance of agency.  I also know the only give we can truly give God is to use our agency to obey Him and become like His son.

All I know to do right now is take this issue to the Lord in prayer.


No comments:

Post a Comment