Bill of Rights

Wednesday, March 18, 2015

I'm Finished!


Almost two years ago, with a lot of questions and fear, I made my first phone call to a Healing Through Christ meeting.  In these meetings I have found hope and healing as is promised each week as we review the 12-Steps.

I'm ashamed to say how long this has taken me.
I should have been writing this post a year ago.

Evidence of trauma is taking forever to get through your 12-steps.

Today, I am celebrating.  I finished my Healing Through Christ 12-steps.  I'm feeling the excitement of finishing, although I know that it will really be years before I don't need these steps.

This phone meeting has become a balm for me.  The women I meet with each week have become dear friends.  We've shared our hurts and pains and our joys and accomplishments.

Even though I have been through this book a dozen times over the many weeks I've attended group, I still have much to learn and many more opportunities to continue to work the steps.

As I was turning the page today, as I was wrapping up step 12, I came across a page I have never read before.  I wish I had.  These words would have helped me so many times.  To keep them present in my mind, and in my recovery work, I'm going to record them here.  Maybe they will help you too.


Healing Through Christ - page 146-47

Part of detaching is letting go.  The following explanation can increase our understanding of this most importanat healing tool.

To Let Go...
To let go does not mean to stop caring
it means I can't do it for someone else.

To let go is not to cut myself off,
it's the realization I can't control another.

To let go is not to enable,
but to allow learning from natural consequences.

To let go is to admit powerlessness,
which means the outcome is not in my hands.

To let go is not to try to change or blame another,
it's to make the most of myself.

To let go is not to care for, but to care about.

To let go is not to fix, but to be supportive.

To let go is not to judge,
but to allow another to be a human being.

To let go is not to be in the middle arranging all the
outcomes, but to allow others to affect their own destinies.

To let go is not to be protective,
its to permit another to face reality.

To let go is not to deny, but to accept.

To let go is not to nag, scold or argue, but instead
to search out my own shortcomings and to correct them.

To let go is not to adjust everything to my desires,
but to take each day as it comes, and to cherish myself in it.

To let go is not to criticize and regulate anybody,
but to try to become what I dream I can be.

To let go is to not regret the past,
but to grow and to live for the future.

To let go is to fear less and to love more
(Author Unknown)


Now that I have completed these steps, my goal is to continue to work them and live them and share them.

1 comment:

  1. I love the list of what it means to let go! It's just what I needed.

    ReplyDelete