Bill of Rights

Friday, December 6, 2013

I Deserve and I'm Done!

In my life, married to a liar and a adulterer, I have visited these terms on numerous occasions.  Recently, in my recovery, I begin taking a long hard look at what they really mean.

Let's start with the first one; Deserve




de·serve
dəˈzərv/
verb:  do something or have or show qualities worthy of (reward or punishment)


  1. synonyms:meritearnwarrantratejustify, be worthy of, be entitled to, have a right to, be qualified well-earned, merited, warranted, justifiedjustifiablerightfulduerightjustfairfittingappropriatesuitableproper, apt, meet


    Many of the words in that list could fit the particular emotion I am trying to identify.  For example;

    "I merit a worthy husband.''
    "I am entitled to a worthy husband.'
    "I have qualified to merit a worthy husband.'

    Or these notions:

    "It just isn't fair that my husband won't honor his covenants so that I can have a worthy companion."
    "His behavior has not been appropriate, therefore, I can do whatever I feel is right for me."

    Do you see where I'm headed here?

    I'm not sure where in the scriptures it teaches that when we finish our young women program, go on to "The Y", secure us a handsome RM, get sealed in the temple we'll live happily ever after --- because we 'deserve it.'

    In fact, I'm pretty sure that is contrary to God's plan.  I believe we came to earth to be tested and it is through enduring trials (some times huge, seemingly unbearable and endless trials) will be given the reward.  Not the reward we deserve, or the reward we earned, but the reward given to us by the grace and mercy of a loving Heavenly Father and because of the Atonement of His Son, our brother, Jesus Christ.

    Which brings me to the other piece of this post -- the term 'I'm Done!"

    I want to state, right from the very beginning that I am and will be forever grateful that my Savior did not say, "I'm Done!"  or "I Quit" while suffering in the Garden. These words were never His;  "This is too hard, too painful, the people are sinners, they won't listen, they are prideful, hard hearted,"  "They are lustful, deceitful, adulterous!."  "It's not worth it!"

    I am ever so grateful he finished the assignment that was his mission to fulfill so that as we are down here on earth trying so desperately to finish ours -- his sacrifice will be worth it for each of us.

    So, what makes a person (a wife) say I'm done?  For me it was all the lies, the crazy chaos I lived with.  The constant upheaval.  Dishonor.  Deception.  Years of it.  I spent years saying those words too.  Then eating them.  I'd spew them in fits of anger or hurt.  I'd say them at the point of despair hoping it would rock my husband back to his senses.  It never did of course, and each time I felt horrible for saying them.

    I made covenants with the Lord -- and this man.  For some reason, the Lord has chosen to train and teach me through this particular path of tests and trials.  If I quit -- what do I gain?  What will my family gain?  What example do I show to my children when I express that idea of "I'm done!"  If I quit, what do I learn about my personal strength and faith?

    Before you start throwing things at me, I do realize there are circumstances that warrant quitting, or removing yourself from a situation that is unsafe.  I believe, as in my case currently there may be times when taking a break is warranted.  

    Next time, though, before the "I deserve" starts flying and the "I'm done" get's flung -- be sure you know what you mean and where that emotion comes from.  It is easy to get caught up in what I like to call "The Fairness Trap" where we evaluate everything that happens to us based on our idea of what is fair.  We holler out and whine and complain about the injustices of the world, like a child who didn't get the toy he wanted, without considering if what we are experiencing is for the growth of our spouse (or family member) or for our own personal growth.  


    What is it we deserve?  


    When are we truly done?


    It is something to ponder.
















2 comments:

  1. I think this is quite interesting and I see your point. I do believe there are things I "deserve" though. I don't deserve them based on my choices or behaviors or the fruit thereof but rather based on the fact that I am a literal daughter of God. I believe that my husband "deserves" the same things for the same reasons, despite his choices, good or bad. We all do. But, it has nothing to do with choice and actions and everything to do with divine heritage. I believe God wants us to be happy. Sometimes, in order to understand and appreciate true happiness, we have to walk through fire first. But, I don't believe God GIVES us those trials but rather he ALLOWS those trials to come into our lives because He knows it is in our eventual best interest and sometimes in the eventual best interest of those who cause those trials. (Sometimes he allows people to make bad choices just so that they can be tried and judged based on the true nature of their heart and we are allowed to be the subject of their choice because the Lord knows that we will also have the opportunity to learn and grow closer to Him as a result of it). Having said all of that, I don't think we can force anyone else to see that divine quality in each of us. I think that true conversion allows each of us to see those divine qualities within all of us and we can allow others to be where they are on the path to conversion. But, we don't have to be ok with where they are on their path if it degrades and abuses us. We can accept it for them and where they are but we don't have to accept it for where we are.

    Which leads to the "I'm done." I LOVE what you said about Christ. That sunk deep. And it did hit on something that I have really been pondering lately. "Let Go and Let God." What if things aren't going the way God would have them? What if they are going the way man would have them go and God is allowing them to go that way because He knows it is in the best interest of that individual? I don't believe that God chooses all of our trials. I think quite often he just allows them to happen because 1. the sinner will have definite action to be judged on and 2. it allows the victim the opportunity to grow. I definitely don't think he made my husband an addict because he and I needed to grow from it. Choice and Accountability is too important to His plan for Him to dictate our choices and sins. But, He do think He ALLOWED it to happen, to both of us. So what if walking beside that person as they make bad choices is causing me and my children to suffer? My jury is still out on this one- I'm still pondering it, but I don't think that I have to be okay with how something is going that is hurtful and damaging and assume that I have to because it is God's will. I can allow my husband (or whoever) to go in the direction they are going. I can acknowledge that I love them and I can see their divine worth, but I don't have to be okay with their choices and the direction they are heading for myself. I think "I'm done" is saying done with it all. Love and respect. But, I think that I can still love the person but decide that I am no longer going to support and condone the behavior they are exhibiting. I can decide that I am worth more, inherently, and so are they, than their actions are showing. I can be "done" with the behaviors. I just don't believe that God wants us to be continual punching bags for people who are refusing to listen to Him and follow His will.

    I don't know though and I feel like I kind of rambled so I hope this makes sense. These are all great thoughts and it has given me much to think about. I'd love to hear other's thoughts as well. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank your Harriet S. Your words have increased my efforts to ponder this issue as it affects me and my relationship with my husband. I appreciate the wise way in which you evaluate issues and your great ability to articulate your viewpoints. Thank you.

      Delete