Bill of Rights

Sunday, March 16, 2014

Healing Sick Souls


 “The greatest miracles I see today are not necessarily the healing of sick bodies, but the greatest miracles I see are the healing of sick souls.”-- President Harold B. Lee


My soul feels sick and in need of repair this week.   I would have thought after three experiences with H leaving that I would be able to manage this one.  But I am just not.

I can't  sleep at night.
I can't stop the waves of pain.
I can't stop the tears of sadness.

I know this is a trial that I am supposed to endure well.  I've tried, at least I thought that I was trying.  But, to hear H speak you'd think I was not at all trying and really the most horrible person.

In a recent email he said, "You have grown in your recovery from a recovering victim to a facilitator of recovering victims.  You have entered a world where you are needed and have growing responsibilities.  This provides you with an opportunity to help others by sharing your experiences with them.  This affords you opportunities to relive the damage I caused as your wounds may be re-exposed at these meetings.  That involvement may be healing for you, but for me, it keeps my past in my face.  Another way my past lives on."


It sounds terrible reading it like that.  He sounds disgusted at me and at the growth that I felt was a good thing.  Here all my effort to come to understand how powerless I was over all of this.  Here I am working my step 4 to make a full written inventory of my wrongs only to find out it isn't at all like I thought.

I never saw myself as a victim.  Now I need to question all my prior behavior to evaluate it against this viewpoint.

I'm in the middle of quite a pickle.  How can we both move forward from this kind of past when the affect of it has been so polarly different? 

We studied Lot's wife in Sunday School last week.  I've been thinking a lot about that.  I understand the importance of moving forward and not looking back.  Surely there is nothing in the past that I want to look back on.  The issue there is that it isn't all so very past.  For sure my view of the past is clearly different that H's.  

I've felt for so long that I was doing anything but moving forward.  I had no place to look to for healing or hope.   I lived each day trying to pretend it wasn't happening.  I couldn't talk about it with H, he forbid it.  He refused counseling.  I wearied every bishop we've every had, not that those options are helpful anyway.  So I just let time go by.

Until last spring.  
Until Addo.

I found truth and validation with Addo.  I found hope and healing through the Healing Through Christ program.  

H thinks I've found a place to keep his past alive.

Now his hurt is mine.
His unwillingness to live in it has become my compelled loneliness.

This is really messy.
This is going to take some time to process.
Luckily -- I've got a lot of that right now.





5 comments:

  1. I love you so much. His words are full of venom and the light he casts on your work is a lie. You are making progress. You are remembering who you are. You are becoming the woman God created you to be. You are being purified and refined. And you are helping others along their path of healing. You are not helping yourself or others to become our remain victims. You are finding your voice and helping them find theirs. You are claiming the power that God has and wants to bless you with. You are overcoming years of abuse and neglect. You are healing. You are growing and he is threatened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He sounds like he's the victim in that. All of our pasts are in our faces. We are the people we are because of our pasts. It is when we allow our pasts to define us as "good people" or "bad people" that life gets messy. For me, it's not about re-living my past, it is about allowing the beautiful lessons from past to shape my future.

    That is not defining "good" or "bad". That is defining "progress" or "numbing".

    I'm sorry. I'm thinking of you today and hugging you through cyber space...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this. Defining progress. I need to hold on to that when my recovery doesn't look good to someone not in recovery.

      Delete
  3. Just a couple of thoughts, for what they're worth! Do with them what you want! :) By 'definition' you *are* a Victim of his behaviors and actions and all the fallout that has resulted. But I believe you have chosen NOT to live in "victim mode". So while yes, you (and your children) are a victim of his choices, you are choosing recovery, healing, and helping others rather than staying stuck in victim mode. Does that make sense?!

    In his email to you he says: "...but for me, it keeps my past in my face. Another way my past lives on." From this, it sounds like he wants to forget his past and move on without dealing with it, or accepting any pain he may have caused you or your kids. You said in another part of your email that he forbid you from talking about anything that happened. He seems to be trying to make you feel guilty for working your recovery, especially since he's choosing not to be in recovery right now himself. Also, he's pretty much in total denial! In that book I mentioned I was reading with my group with Dr. Skinner it talks about denial and says: "For the addict's friends and family members, this [denial] is one of the most frustrating aspects of the disease....The success of addiction treatment and recovery depend on the addict's willingness to break through the barrier of denial,"

    If he was in recovery, true recovery, he would accept the progress you're making in recovery and not try to make you feel guilty about it. He would, as part of the steps of recovery, willingly look back at all the he has done and would not forbid you to talk to him about it....look back, deal with it, and then move forward. No matter how difficult, he would accept that he has caused you and your family so much pain and he would be willing to make amends while allowing you to feel that pain without guilt or shame or blame.

    Keep in mind when you talk to him or get emails or texts....he is an addict. He's been an addict for many, many years. He's an addict who does not want to be in recovery. He would (seemingly) like to forget his past and pretend none of it ever happened (that's apparently how he deals with all of this) and wants you to do the same (which is totally NOT fair to you). He is in denial and is not in recovery. His words and comments come from a very selfish place.

    You, on the other hand, are seeking recovery and growing and serving others. There is *nothing* wrong with that! Your intentions for seeking recovery and hope and healing were NOT to keep H's past alive! Don't believe his lies! Most definitely continue on your path of recovery and don't forget *self-care*! Love and {{{hugs}}}...

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and I meant to say: You are NOT a horrible person!!!! (QUITE the opposite!)

    ReplyDelete